Board logo

標題: 生活美語《She’s dating》 [打印本頁]

作者: cody-tty    時間: 2008-1-22 02:14     標題: 生活美語《She’s dating》

She’s dating
她談戀愛啦

對話
Joyce:All my girlfriends are so jealous of Effie these days.
喬伊斯:我的女朋友現在無不羨慕愛菲。
Cara:I must have missed some gossip. What's she done?
卡拉:看來有些傳言我沒有聽到。愛菲怎樣了?
Joyce:Well, she's dating the son of the Globemart boss. His father's worth millions.
喬伊斯:她和環球商場老闆的兒子談戀愛啦。環球商場老闆家貲巨萬。
Cara:You don't say. She has done well for herself. How did she meet him?
卡拉:是嗎。愛菲真成功。她怎樣認識商場老闆的兒子?
Joyce:Well I heard they met by chance when her car broke down on her way into town and he stopped to help.
喬伊斯:聽說是偶然認識的。愛菲開車入城,汽車半路拋錨,商場老闆的兒子就停下來幫忙。
Cara:Oh, what a hero! He must be a really nice guy to do that.
卡拉:啊,真是個見義勇為的英雄!他能夠這樣做,人品一定很不錯。
Joyce:I guess he is and he's so good looking and really tall.
喬伊斯:大概是吧,而且他樣子很帥,個子又高。
Cara:Gee, some girls get all the luck. I must get someone to fix my car so it'll break down on my next trip downtown.
卡拉:唉,有些女人就是那麼幸運。我得找人修理一下汽車,使汽車在我下次去市中心時半路拋錨。

多學一點點 如今,其父家貲巨萬
喬伊斯說:All my girlfriends are so jealous of Effie these days。陸谷孫《英漢大詞典》make out條下例句:「How are you making out these days?你這幾天好嗎?」把these days當作「這幾天」,自然不對。
These days是「如今」,常帶「從前不是這樣」含義,例如:You can hardly get employment these days without some knowledge of the computer(今天,沒有一點電腦知識,很難覓得工作)。How are you making out these days?即「你近來怎樣?」《英漢大詞典》是中共國家哲學社會科學七五規劃的重點項目,聲言「自建第一手資料語庫」,但上述例句其實抄自Tom McArthur的Dictionary of English Phrasal Verbs and their Idioms,編者懂得抄而不懂得解。
喬伊斯談到愛菲男朋友的父親:His father's worth millions。Worth作形容詞,指「價值是……」;用來說人,則是指其家財,例如:(1) The house is worth about $1.5 million(這棟房子約值150萬元)。(2) He is said to be worth at least $10 million / to be worth a fortune(據說他家財有至少1千萬元╱據說他家資廣有)。
富有的人,可稱為high net worth people / individuals,直譯是「資產淨值高的人」,例如:The tax cut is aimed at people of high net worth(這次減稅對象是富有人家)。
卡拉聽到喬伊斯的話,回答說:You don't say。這成語常用來表示人家的話令你驚奇,有時用作反話,表示「那不奇怪」,例如:(1) "I have a dozen children." "You don't say!"(「我有12個孩子。」「是嗎!」)(2) "He's got a mistress." "You don't say."(「他有個情婦。」「是嗎。」)
作者: levis0603    時間: 2015-3-28 11:59     標題: 回復 1# cody-tty 的帖子

每日一句~~謝謝分享!!

歡迎光臨 PLUS28 (http://www.plus28.com/) Powered by Discuz! 6.1.0