發新話題
打印

生活美語《There’s one thing we’ve got to do now..》

生活美語《There’s one thing we’ve got to do now..》

There’s one thing we’ve got to do now and that’s wet the baby’s head
現在我們有件事要做,就是去喝一杯慶祝孩子出世  

Steve:Hello, is that you Max?

史蒂夫:喂,是麥克斯嗎?

Max:Hi, Steve. Yes it's me. What can I do for you?

麥克斯:喂,史蒂夫。不錯,就是我。有什麼要我效勞?

Steve:I'm ringing to congratulate you on the birth of your new baby daughter. Millie just told me the news.

史蒂夫:我打電話來,是要祝賀你生了個女兒。米莉剛剛把消息告訴我。

Max:Gee, thanks Steve. It's great. We've a boy and a girl now. It's what we've always wanted.

麥克斯:啊,謝謝你,史蒂夫。真好,我們現在有一個兒子,一個女兒,這正是我們向來的心願。

Steve:How are Lois and the new baby?

史蒂夫:洛伊絲和初生孩子好嗎?

Max:They're both doing fine. They should be out of hospital in a couple of days.

麥克斯:他們都很好,幾天就可出院。

Steve:Well there's one thing we've got to do now and that's wet the baby's head. Are you free this evening?

史蒂夫:我們有件事要做,就是去喝一杯慶祝孩子出世。今晚有空嗎?

Max:Yes.

麥克斯:有啊。

Steve:OK, I'll pick you up at seven. We've got to celebrate.

史蒂夫:好,我七點鐘開車來接你。我們得慶祝一下。

多學一點點 慶祝孩子出世
史蒂夫打電話給麥克斯說:I'm ringing to congratulate you on the birth of your new baby daughter。查第四版《朗文當代高級辭典》congratulate(祝賀)條,你會看到以下例句:All three are to be congratulated for doing so well(三人表現那麼好,都值得祝賀)。要說「為某事」祝賀人家,應用on還是for帶出那件事?

答案是on 或upon,例如:(1) All three are to be congratulated on doing so well。(2) I congratulated him on his success(他成功了,我向他道賀)。不過,英語國家不少人都在congratulate之後用for帶出doing之類動名詞(gerund),所以有些詞典把這用法收錄,當作正確用法,但嚴格的英語學者未必同意,例如Frederick Wood 的Current English Usage(當代英文用法)congratulate條下說:“For”or“at”(is) frequently, though wrongly, used before a gerund(動名詞之前常用for 或at,但那並不正確)。名詞congratulations同樣須和on / upon連用。

史蒂夫說:There's one thing we've got to do now and that's wet the baby's head。談到「要做(do)的是(be)什麼」,那be(=is、was等)之後常用「to+原形動詞(infinitive)」,但to可以略去,例如:What I wanted to do was (to) forget everything(我要做的,是把一切忘掉)。史蒂夫那一句,wet之前當然也可加to字。

Wet the baby's head是成語,指喝酒慶祝嬰兒出世,例如:When we learned that he had just become a father, we went with him to the bar to wet the baby's head(我們知道他剛為人父,就和他一起上酒吧,為嬰兒舉杯)。

謝謝分享 實用的生活美語

提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

謝謝分享
很受用

謝謝大大的分享
真的是值得收藏
英文真的太重要了

發新話題
最近訪問的版塊