µo·s¸ÜÃD
¥´¦L

[¥Í¬¡­^»y] ³æ¤f³ß¼@: Åý§A¯º¨ì¡u¨Ã­y¡v Laugh out Loud at Stand-up Comedy

³æ¤f³ß¼@: Åý§A¯º¨ì¡u¨Ã­y¡v Laugh out Loud at Stand-up Comedy

­n¦¨¬°¤@¦W¦¨¥\ªº³æ¤f³ß¼@ºt­û¡A»Ý­n«D¤Zªº¤~¯à¡C

¥»¹Ï¤å¥X³B:https://www.ivy.com.tw/newsLetter/life_cont/2022052413523392228
§Jº|¦r

Most of us know someone great at telling jokes. It takes exceptional talent, however, to become a successful stand-up comedian. These people stand up on stage with just a microphone and try their hardest to get as many __1__ from the audience as possible. In countries like the US and the UK, top stand-up comedians are among the best-known celebrities. Most focus on a specific type of comedy in their act. One of the most common is observational comedy, __2__ jokes are made about aspects of everyday life. Another is political satire, which makes fun of people in politics.

Early versions of stand-up comedy date back to the 19th century. However, the style that people are familiar with today¡Xone person standing before an audience telling jokes¡X started __3__ in the 1930s. In the 1970s and 1980s, special comedy clubs like The Laugh Factory and the Comedy Cellar began appearing in cities. As early as the 1960s, however, stand-up comedians had been performing regularly on late-night television talk shows, such as The Tonight Show. This development was __4__ in introducing stand-up comedy to a much wider audience, enabling people who had never seen a live show to enjoy this unique form of entertainment.

These days, it¡¦s common for performers to have their act filmed and __5__ on video streaming services. And while stand-up comedy, like jazz and rock music, is primarily an American art form, other countries and cultures have warmly embraced it.

1. (A) tears (B) laughs (C) signs (D) frowns

2. (A) when (B) how (C) why (D) where

3. (A) building confidence (B) causing offense (C) gaining popularity (D) raising awareness

4. (A) influential (B) optimistic (C) sensitive (D) ridiculous

5. (A) deposited (B) released (C) scattered (D) furnished

µª®×: 1.B 2.D 3.C 4.A 5.B

³æ¦r¤ù»y¾ã²z
Words in Use
¡´
laugh [læf]

vi. & n. ¯º
¡´
sign [saÈþn]

vt. & vi. ñ¦W
n. ¸ñ¶H¡F«H¸¹¡A¥Ü·N¡F¼Ð¥ÜµP
¡´
sensitive [£¿sÈ÷nsətÈþv]

adj. ±Ó·Pªº¡A©ö³Q«_¥Çªº
Fred is sensitive to others¡¦ remarks.
¥±·ç¼w¹ï§O¤Hªº¸Ü«Ü±Ó·P¡C

Don¡¦t mention Donald¡¦s missing dog―he¡¦s very sensitive about that.
¤£­n´£¨ì­ð¯Ç¼w¨«¥¢ªºª¯ ¡X ¥L¹ï¨º¥ó¨Æ«D±`±Ó·P¡C

°ª¤¤ Level 2
¡´
tear [tÈþr]

n. ²´²\
¡´
aspect [£¿æspÈ÷kt]

n. ¤è­±
¡´
audience [£¿ÈødÈþəns]

n. Æ[²³¡]¶°¦X¦Wµü¡A³q±`¤£¥[ s¡A«á±µ½Æ¼Æ°Êµü¡^
¡´
awareness [ə£¿wÈ÷rnÈþs]

n. ·NÃÑ¡F¹îı
¡´
stream [strim]

vt. & vi. ¦b½u¦¬Å¥©Î¦¬¬Ý
vi. ¬y°Ê
n. ·Ë¬y¡F¬y¶q
¡´
version [£¿vɝʒən]

n. Ķ¥»¡Fª©¥»¡F¡]¤åÃÀ§@«~ªº¡^§ï½s§Î¦¡
¡´
embrace [Èþm£¿bres]

vt. & n. & vi. ¾Ö©ê
¡´
furnish [£¿fɝnÈþÈõ]

.vt. °t³Æ³Ã­Ñ¡F´£¨Ñ¡]¥Î©ó¤U¦C¤ù»y¡^
¡´
entertainment [͵È÷ntɚ£¿tenmənt]

n. ®T¼Ö¡A¼Ö½ì¡]¤£¥i¼Æ¡^¡F®T¼Ö¸`¥Ø¡]¥i¼Æ¡^
¡´
confidence [£¿kɑnfədəns]

n. «H¤ß
¡´
frown [fraÈýn]

n. & vi. ½K¬ÜÀY
¡´
influential [͵ÈþnflÈý£¿È÷nÈõəl]

a. ¦³¼vÅT¤Oªº
¡´
offense [ə£¿fÈ÷ns]

n. ¥Ç¸o¡F§ðÀ»¡F«_¥Ç¡A±o¸o
¡´
exceptional [Èþk£¿sÈ÷pÈõən!]

a. ¨ô¶Vªº¡F²§±`ªº¡A¤£´M±`ªº
¡´
ridiculous [rÈþ£¿dÈþkjələs]

a. ¥i¯ºªº¡A¯îÂÕªº
¡´
celebrity [sə£¿lÈ÷brətÈþ]

n. ¦W¤H (¥i¼Æ) ; ¦WÁn¡A¦W®ð (¤£¥i¼Æ)
¡´
comedian [kə£¿midÈþən]

n. ³ß¼@ºt­û
¡´
primarily [praÈþ£¿mÈ÷rəlÈþ]

adv. ¥D­n¦a
¡´
optimistic [͵ɑptə£¿mÈþstÈþk]

a. ¼ÖÆ[ªº¡]»P¤¶µü about ¨Ã¥Î¡^
¡´
enable [Èþn£¿eb!]

vt. ¨Ï¯à°÷
¡´
release [rÈþ£¿lis]

vt. & n. ÄÀ¥X¡AÄÀ©ñ¡]= let go of¡^¡Fµo¦æ¡Aµo¥¬
¡´
scatter [£¿skætɚ]

vt. ¼»¡F¨Ï¤À´²
vi. ¤À´²
n. ¹s¬P´²¥¬ªºªF¦è
¡´
deposit [dÈþ£¿pɑzÈþt]

vt. ¦s©ñ¡]»È¦æ¡^
n. Ä­Âöq¡F­qª÷
¡´
cellar [£¿sÈ÷lɚ]
n. ¦aµ¢
¡´
observational [͵ɑbzɚ£¿veÈõən!]
a. Æ[¹îªº
¡´
satire [£¿sætaÈþr]
n. ¿Ø¨ë¡AÃÕ¿Ø
Practical Phrases
¡´
be familiar with... ¼ô±x¡K¡K
Are you familiar with my boss?
§A©M§Ú¦ÑÁó¼ô¶Ü¡H

¡´
enable sb to + V ¨Ï¬Y¤H¯à°÷¡K¡K
Knowledge enables one to solve one¡¦s own problems.
ª¾ÃѨϤH¦³¯à¤O¦Û¦æ¸Ñ¨MÃøÃD¡C

¡´
focus on... ±Mª`©ó¡K¡K
Don¡¦t bother Al. He is focused on his work.
§O¥´ÂZ¦ãº¸¡C¥L¥¿±M¤ß¤u§@¡C

¡´
make fun of sb ¨ú¯º¬Y¤H
= mock sb
Don¡¦t make fun of John. He is so embarrassed.
¤£­n¨ú¯º¬ù¿«¡C¥L«ÜÀª§¼¡C

¡´
date back (all the way) to + ®É¶¡¢A®É´Á °l·¹¦Ü⋯⋯¡]®É¶¡¡^
My mother¡¦s antique table dates back to the early 1800s.
§Ú¦Ñ¶ýªº¥j¸³®à¥i°l·¹¦Ü¤Q¤E¥@¬öªì¡C

According to scientists, these fossils date back to 2000 BCE.
®Ú¾Ú¬ì¾Ç®aªº»¡ªk¡A³o¨Ç¤Æ¥Û¥i°l·¹¦Ü¤½¤¸«e¨â¤d¦~¡C

¡´
try one¡¦s hardest to V ºÉ¬Y¤H³Ì¤jªº§V¤O°µ⋯⋯
I will try my hardest to make sure the show is a success.
§Ú·|ºÉ¥þ¤O½T«Oºt¥X¦¨¥\¡C

¡´
gain (in) popularity º¥¨üÅwªï¡F¶}©l¬y¦æ
The director gained popularity after his film was nominated for an Academy Award.
¨º¦ì¾Éºt¦b¹q¼v³Q´£¦W¶ø´µ¥d¼ú¤§«á«KÁn¦W¤j¾¸¡C

Tips & Analysis

1. These people stand up on stage with just a microphone and try their hardest to get as many laughs from the audience as possible.

²z¥Ñ

ªÅ®æ«e¤@¥y´£¨ì³æ¤f³ß¼@ºt­û¡A¥iª¾³o¨Ç¤H¯¸¦b»R »O¤WÀ³¬O¥f¨¬¥þ¤O·Q±qÆ[²³®u¤¤±o¨ì·U¦h¡u¯ºÁn¡v ·U¦n¡A¬G (B) ¶µÀ³¬°¥¿¿ï¡C

2. One of the most common is observational comedy, where jokes are made about aspects of everyday life.

²z¥Ñ

a. ªÅ®æ«e¦³¥ý¦æµü observational comedy(Æ[¹î«¬ ³ß¼@)¡A¦ÓªÅ®æ«á¬°§¹¾ãªº¤l¥y¡A¬Gª¾ªÅ®æÀ³¸m¤J ¥i­×¹¢¡u¬YºØ±¡ªp¡B±¡¹Ò¡vªºÃö«Y°Æµü¡A¥H¤Þ¾É§Î®eµü¤l¥y­×¹¢ observational comedy¡C

b. ¥|­Ó¿ï¶µ§¡¥i§@Ãö«Y°Æµü¡AµM when ¤Þ¾Éªº§Î®e µü¤l¥y¥u­×¹¢¨ä«eªí¡u®É¶¡¡vªº¦Wµü¡Ahow ¥u¥Î ¥H­×¹¢ the way(¤èªk)¡A¦Ó why «h¥u­×¹¢ the reason(²z¥Ñ)¡A¬G (A)¡B(B)¡B(C) §¡¤£¥i¿ï¡C

c. ¿ï¶µ¤¤°ß¤@¥i­×¹¢ªí¡u¬YºØ±¡ªp¡B±¡¹Ò¡vªºÃö«Y°Æ µü¬° where¡A¸m¤J«áªí³Ì±`¨£ªº³ß¼@¤§¤@¬OÆ[¹î«¬ ³ß¼@¡A¨ä¤¤ªº¯º¸Ü¬OÃö©ó¤é±`¥Í¬¡ªº¦U­Ó¼h­±¡A¬G µª®×À³¿ï (D) where¡C

3. However, the style that people are familiar with today¡Xone person standing before an audience telling jokes¡Xstarted gaining popularity in the 1930s.

²z¥Ñ

®Ú¾Ú»y·N¡A²{¤µ¤H­Ì¼ô±xªº³æ¤f³ß¼@­·®æ ¢w ¤@ ­Ó¤H¯¸¦bÆ[²³­±«eÁ¿¯º¸Ü ¢w ¦b 1930 ¦~¥N¡uº¥ ¨üÅwªï¡v¡A¬G (C) ¶µÀ³¬°¥¿¿ï¡C

4. This development was influential in introducing stand-up comedy to a much wider audience, enabling people who had never seen a live show to enjoy this unique form of entertainment.

²z¥Ñ

®Ú¾Ú»y·N¡A1960 ¦~¥N¡A³æ¤f³ß¼@ºt­û¦b²`©]ªº¹q µø²æ¤f¨q¸`¥Ø¤¤ªíºtªº³o¤@µo®i¡A¡u¦b¡v§â³æ¤f³ß ¼@¤¶²Ðµ¹§ó¼sªxªºÆ[²³¤W«Ü¡u¦³¼vÅT¤O¡v¡A¯àÅý±q ¥¼¬Ý¹L²{³õªíºtªº¤H¨É¨ü³oºØ¿W¯Sªº®T¼Ö§Î¦¡¡A¬G ¿ï (A)¡C

5. These days, it¡¦s common for performers to have their act filmed and released on video streaming services.

²z¥Ñ

®Ú¾Ú»y·N¡AªÅ®æ©Ò¦bªº¥y¤l¤¤´£¨ì¼v­µ¦ê¬yªA°È¡A ¥iª¾ªíºtªÌ³q±`·|¿ý¤U¥L­Ìªºªíºt¡A¨Ã¡uµoªí¡v¦b ¼v­µ¦ê¬yªA°È¤W¡A¬G¿ï (B)¡C

More to Learn

stand-up (comedy) ³æ¤f³ß¼@

• Alan worked as a DJ and began performing stand-up comedy in 2020.

¦ã­Û´¿¾á¥ô DJ¡A¨Ã©ó 2020 ¦~¶}©lªíºt³æ¤f³ß¼@¡C

¥H¤U¤¶²Ð»P¡u³æ¤f³ß¼@¡v¬ÛÃöªº³æ¦r:
a. open mic ¶}©ñ³Á§J­·

* «ü¤½¶}Åý³ß¼@ºt­û¦ÛÄ@§Y¿³ªíºtªº³õ¦X¡C

b. pun [ pʌn ] n. ÂùÃö»y¡A»y¸qÂùÃöªº«N¥Ö¸Ü

* ³æ¤f³ß¼@¤¤±`·|Å¥¨ì¨Ï¥ÎÂùÃö»yªº¯º¸Ü¡A«ü§Q¥Îµü ªº¦h¸q¤Î¦P­µª±¤å¦r¹CÀ¸¡C

make a pun »¡ÂùÃö»y

• The man made a couple of offensive puns.

¨º­Ó¨k¤l»¡¤F´X­Ó¥O¤H¤£´r§ÖªºÂùÃö»y¡C

c. hellish gag ¦aº»Íþ

hellish [ £¿hÈ÷lÈþÈõ ] a. «ÜÁVªº;«Ü¥O¤H°Q¹½ªº

gag [ gæg ] n.(¤×«ü³ß¼@ºt­ûªº)´¡¬ì¥´ë¡¡Aª±¯º

* ¦n¯ºªº¬q¤l¤¤´X¥G³£·|¬ï´¡¤@¨Ç¦aº»Íþ¡A¬O«ü¥H¤v ¨­©Î¥L¤Hªº´d¼@¡B¯e¯fµ¥§@¬°¯ºÂI¡A¬°¤@ºØ¶Â¦â«ÕÀqªºªí¹F¤è¦¡¡C

d. roast [ rost ] vt. ¦R¼Ñ

*roast ­ìªí¡u¯N;¯M;µH¡v¡A¦b³æ¤f³ß¼@¤¤³Q®³¨Ó

§@¬°¡u¦R¼Ñ¡v¤§·N¡A±a¦³«õ­Wªº·N¨ý¡C¥t¥~¡A¡u¦R¼Ñªº¤H¡v¥s°µ roaster¡A¦Ó¡u³Q¦R¼Ñªº¤H¡v«h¬O roastee¡C

e. anecdote [ £¿ænÈþk͵dot ] n. ¶c¨Æ¡A½ì»D *anecdote ¦³¥i¯à¬Oµo¥Í¦b¦Û¤v©Î§O¤H¨­¤Wªº¤p¬G¨Æ¡A±`³Q®³¨Ó·í§@ªíºtªºÃD§÷¡C

f. punchline [ £¿pʌntÈõlaÈþn ] n.(¬G¨Æ©Î¯º¸Üªº³Ì«áÂI ÃD©Î©ß¥X¯º®Æªº)§®»y¡AµeÀsÂI·úªºµ²§À¥y

*punchline ¬O¤@­Ó¬q¤l¤¤ªº³Ìºë±m¤§³B¡A±`©ñ¦b¾ã­Ó¬q¤lªº¤¤¶¡©Î«á­±¡C

¤¤¤å½Ķ(& µª®×)

³æ¤f³ß¼@ : Åý§A¯º¨ì¡u ¨Ã­y¡v

§Ú­Ì¤j¦h¼Æ¤H³£»{ÃѬY­Ó¾ÕªøÁ¿¯º¸Üªº¤H¡CµM¦Ó¡A­n¦¨¬°¤@¦W¦¨¥\ªº³æ¤f³ß¼@ºt­û¡A»Ý­n«D¤Zªº¤~¯à¡C ³o¨Ç¤H¯¸¦b¥u¦³¤@¤ä³Á§J­·ªº»R»O¤W¡A¥f¨¬¥þ¤O¦a·Q±qÆ[²³®u¤¤±o¨ì·U¦h¯ºÁn·U¦n¡C¦b¬ü°ê©M­^°êµ¥°ê®a¡A ³»¦yªº³æ¤f³ß¼@ºt­û¤]³£¬O¦WÁn«D±`ÅT«Gªº¦W¤H¡C¤j¦h¼Æ¤Hªºªíºt±Mª`©ó¯S©wÃþ«¬ªº³ß¼@¡C³Ì±`¨£ªº³ß¼@¤§ ¤@¬OÆ[¹î«¬³ß¼@¡A¨ä¤¤ªº¯º¸Ü¬OÃö©ó¤é±`¥Í¬¡ªº¦U­Ó¼h­±¡C¥t¤@ºØ¬O¶}¬Fªv¤Hª«ª±¯ºªº¬Fªv¿Ø¨ë¡C

³æ¤f³ß¼@ªº¦­´Áª©¥»¥i¥H°l·¹¨ì¤Q¤E¥@¬ö¡CµM¦Ó¡A²{¤µ¤H­Ì¼ô±xªº­·®æ ¢w ¤@­Ó¤H¯¸¦bÆ[²³­±«eÁ¿¯º ¸Ü ¢w ¦b 1930 ¦~¥N¶}©lº¥¨üÅwªï¡C¦b 1970 ¦~¥N©M 1980 ¦~¥N¡A¹³¯º¦K¤u¼t©M³ß¼@°sµ¢³o¼Ëªº¯S®í³ß¼@ ­Ñ¼Ö³¡¶}©l¦b«°¥«¤¤¥X²{¡CµM¦Ó¡A¦­¦b 1960 ¦~¥N¡A³æ¤f³ß¼@ºt­û´N¸g±`¦b²`©]ªº¹qµø²æ¤f¨q¸`¥Ø(¦p¡m¤µ©]¨q¡n)¤¤ªíºt¡C³o¤@µo®i¦b§â³æ¤f³ß¼@¤¶²Ðµ¹§ó¼sªxªºÆ[²³¤W«Ü¦³¼vÅT¤O¡A¯àÅý±q¥¼¬Ý¹L²{³õªíºtªº¤H¨É¨ü³oºØ¿W¯Sªº®T¼Ö§Î¦¡¡C

¦p¤µ¡AªíºtªÌ³q±`·|¿ý¤U¥L­Ìªºªíºt¡A¨Ãµoªí¦b¼v­µ¦ê¬yªA°È¤W¡CÁöµM³æ¤f³ß¼@¹³Àï¤h¼Ö©M·nºu¼Ö¤@ ¼Ë¡A¥D­n¬O¬ü°êªº¤@ºØÃÀ³N§Î¦¡¡A¦ý¨ä¥L°ê®a©M¤å¤Æ¤w¸g¼ö±¡¦a±µ¨ü¤F¥¦¡C

µo·s¸ÜÃD