[¥Í¬¡­^»y] ¤é¥»³¾©~ | ³q©¹¯«°ìªº¤J¤f Torii: The Spiritual Symbol of Japan

¤é¥»³¾©~ | ³q©¹¯«°ìªº¤J¤f Torii: The Spiritual Symbol of Japan

³¾©~¥Nªí¤F¤H¬É©M¯«°ì¤§¶¡ªºÃä¬É¡C·í¤@­Ó¤H¬ï¶V¤@ ¹D³¾©~¡A¥L´N¶i¤J¤F¯«¸tªº¤g¦a¡C

§@ªÌ Derek Davies
¥»¹Ï¤å¥X³Bhttps://www.ivy.com.tw/newsLetter/analysis_cont/2022062413561374377

MP3https://www.dropbox.com/s/1e876xujo616opw/MP3.rar?dl=0

¥Ø¿ý / Tips & Analysis / ¤¤¤å½Ķ(& µª®×)
¤å·N¿ï¶ñ

The torii of Japan is one of the many symbols of the country. These simple yet mystifying gates dot the Japanese __1__. But where exactly do they come from, and what do they represent?

While the origins of these aesthetic-looking gates are not clear, many historians believe that they have been __2__ from India or China. In India, gates called torana appear at entrances to Buddhist and Hindu temples. The name torana also sounds a bit similar to torii, which further __3__ the theory. In China, similar structures known as pailou are built at the entrances to Buddhist and Taoist temples as well. Japanese legend, however, says differently.

According to the Kojiki, a collection of myths written in 712 about Japan and its local deities or kami, the origin of torii has to do with Amaterasu, the sun goddess of the Shinto religion. She became outraged by her __4__ brother¡¦s destructive behavior. She then locked herself in a cave, plunging the world into __5__. Other kami thought of a way to entice her to come out: to get the bird of the morning to call out. They __6__ a perch in front of the cave and positioned roosters on it. This perch was the first torii. Upon hearing the roosters call, Amaterasu emerged to see what was going on, returning light to the world. The story sounds __7__ since the Japanese characters for torii literally mean ¡§bird home.¡¨

The torii __8__ the border between the living world and the spirit world. When one crosses through a torii, they are entering __9__ land, the land of the kami. Each torii that a person passes through means they are entering a land holier than the last. When leaving a temple, it¡¦s important to leave through all of the gates you walked through when entering; otherwise, you¡¦ll be __10__ in the spirit world. So, the next time you¡¦re admiring a temple in Japan, remember to be respectful towards the kami and return to our world safe and sound.

(A) stuck (B) wicked (C) adds to (D) installed (E) darkness
(F) imported (G) landscape (H) sacred ( I ) reasonable (J) stands for

µª®×¡G1.G 2.F 3.C 4.B 5.E 6.D 7.I 8.J 9.H 10.A

³æ¦r¤ù»y¾ã²z
Words in Use
¡´
theory [£¿£ciərÈþ]

n. ¾Ç»¡¡F²z½×
¡´
sacred [£¿sekrÈþd]

a. ¯«¸tªº
¡´
myth [mÈþ£c]

n. ¯«¸Ü¡F°g«ä¡A¿ù»~ªº·Qªk
¡´
destructive [dÈþ£¿strʌktÈþv]

a. ¯}Ãaªº
¡´
plunge [plʌndʒ]

n. & vi. ¸õ¤J
vi. ÆJ­°
¡´
spiritual [£¿spÈþrÈþtÈõÈýəl]

a. ºë¯«¤Wªº¡A¤ßÆF¤Wªº
¡´
install [Èþn£¿stÈøl]

.vt. ¸Ë³]¡A¦w¸Ë¡F¨Ï´N¥ô¡]¦¹·N¦h¥Î³Q°Ê»yºA¡^
¡´
legend [£¿lÈ÷dʒənd]

n. ¶Ç»¡
¡´
landscape [£¿lænd͵skep]

n. ´º¦â¡]¥i¼Æ¡^
vt. ¬ü¤Æ¡K¡Kªº´ºÆ[
¡´
respectful [rÈþ£¿spÈ÷ktfəl]

a. ­È±o´L·qªº¡FÅé­±ªº¡A¬Û·í¤£¿ùªº
¡´
emerge [Èþ£¿mɝdʒ]

vi. ¥X²{¡A«_¥X¡]±`»P¤¶µü from ¨Ã¥Î¡^
¡´
stuck [stʌk]
stickªº°Êµü¹L¥h¦¡¡B¹L¥h¤Àµü
¡´
wicked [£¿wÈþkÈþd]

a. ´c¬rªº¡F¯Ê¼wªº
¡´
reasonable [£¿riznəb!]

a. ¦X²zªº¡FÁ¿²zªº
¡´
perch [pɝtÈõ]

vi. ´Ï®§ / °±¯d©ó
n. ³¾Ãþªº´Ï
¡´
literally [£¿lÈþtərəlÈþ]

adv. . ·Ó¦r­±¦a¡Aª½Ä¶¦a¡F¯u¥¿ / ½T¹ê¦a
¡´
aesthetic [È÷s£¿£cÈ÷tÈþk]

a. . ¬ü¡]·P¡^ªº¡A¼f¬üªº¡e­^¡f¡]= esthetic [ Es`HEtIk ]¡e¬ü¡f¡^
¡´
outrage [£¿aÈýt͵redʒ]

vt. . ¨Ï¼«´n
n. ¥O¤H¼«´nªº¨Æ
¡´
holy [£¿holÈþ]

a. ¯«¸tªº
¡´
darkness [£¿dɑrknÈþs]

n. ¶Â·t
¡´
import [£¿Èþmport]

n. ¶i¤f«~
¡´
mystifying [ `mÈþsəˌfɑÈþÈþɧ ]
a. ¯«¯¦ªº¡A¥O¤H§x´bªº
¡´
deity [£¿diətÈþ]
n. ¯«¬é
¡´
Shinto [£¿ÈõÈþnto]
n. ¡]¤é¥»¡^¯«¹D±Ð
¡´
entice [Èþn£¿taÈþs]
vt. ¤Þ»¤¡A»¤¨Ï
Practical Phrases
¡´
safe and sound ¦wµMµL®~¦a
I felt happy to learn that Ben had come back safe and sound.
ª¾¹D¯Z¤w¸g¦wµMµL®~¦a¦^¨Ó¡A§Ú·P¨ì«Ü°ª¿³¡C

¡´
stand for... ¥Nªí / ¶H¼x......
To most people, roses stand for love.

¹ï¤j³¡¤Àªº¤H¨Ó»¡¡Aª´ºÀªá¶H¼x·R±¡¡C

¡´
add to sth ¼W²K¬Y¨Æª«
The fancy dress added to Wendy's charm.

³o¥óº}«Gªº¬v¸Ë¼W²K¤F·Å¸¦ªº¾y¤O¡C

¡´
have to do with... »P⋯⋯¦³Ãö
¡´
call out ¤jÁn³Û¥s
Seeing the man trapped under a car, Katy called out for help.
¬Ý¨ì¨k¤l³Q§x¦b¨®©³¡A³Í¸¦¤jÁn©I¥s±Ï´©¡C

Tips & Analysis

1. These simple yet mystifying gates dot the Japanese landscape.

²z¥Ñ

a. ªÅ®æ«e¦³©w«aµü the ©M§Î®eµü Japanese(¤é¥»ªº)¡A¬Gª¾ªÅ®æÀ³¸m¤J¦Wµü¥H³Q Japanese ­×¹¢¡C

b. ¿ï¶µ¤¤¦³ (E) darkness ¤Î (G) landscape ²Å¦X±ø ¥ó¡AªÅ®æ«e´£¤Î³¾©~¬O¤é¥»ªº¥Nªí¼Ð»x¤§¤@¡A¥i²q ´ú³¾©~¦b¤é¥»«Ü±`¨£¡A¤]´N¬O»¡¡A¤é¥»¡u¦a´º¡v¤W ¬Pù´Ñ¥¬µÛ³o¨Ç²³æ«o¯«¯¦ªºªù¡A¬G¿ï (G)¡C

2. While the origins of these aesthetic-looking gates are not clear, many historians believe that they have been imported from India or China.

²z¥Ñ

a. ªÅ®æ«e¦³ be °Êµü been¡A¦ÓªÅ®æ«á¦³¤¶µü from¡A ¬Gª¾ªÅ®æÀ³¸m¤J¤Àµü¡B§Î®eµü©Î¦Wµü¡C

b. ³Ñ¾l¿ï¶µ¤¤°£ (C) adds to ¤Î (J) stands for ¥~¬Ò ²Å¦X±ø¥ó¡AªÅ®æ«á»¡©ú³¾©~©M¦L«×¡B¤¤°êªº«Øª«¦³ ¬Û¦ü¤§³B¡A¥iª¾³¾©~¥i¯à¬O±q¦L«×©Î¤¤°ê¡u¶Ç¤J¡v ªº¡A¬Gµª®×À³¿ï (F) imported¡C

3. The name torana also sounds a bit similar to torii, which further adds to the theory.

²z¥Ñ

a. ªÅ®æ¦ì©óÃö«Y¥N¦Wµü ¤¤¡A­×¹¢«e¥b¤l¥y¡CªÅ®æ«e¦³°Æµü further(¶i¤@ ¨B)¡A«á¦³¦Wµüµü²Õ the theory(¸Ó²z½×)¡A¥B®Ú ¾Ú¥»¥y®ÉºA¡A¥iª¾ªÅ®æÀ³¸m¤J²{¦b¦¡²Ä¤T¤HºÙ³æ¼Æ ¤Îª«(¤ù»y)°Êµü¡C

b. ¿ï¶µ¤¤¦³ (C) adds to ¤Î (J) stands for ²Å¦X±ø ¥ó¡A¥»¥y«e¥b´£¤Î¦L«×ªº¦«©Ô¯ÇÅ¥°_¨Ó¸ò³¾©~ªº¤é ¤å(torii)¦³ÂIÃþ¦ü¡A¥iª¾³o¶i¤@¨B¡u¼W¥[¡v¤F³¾ ©~¬O¥Ñ¦L«×¶Ç¤J³o­Ó²z½×ªº»¡ªA¤O¡A¬G¿ï (C)¡C

4. She became outraged by her wicked brother¡¦s destructive behavior.

²z¥Ñ

a. ªÅ®æ«e¦³©Ò¦³®æ her¡AªÅ®æ«á¦³¦Wµüµü²Õ brother¡¦s destructivebehavior(§Ì§Ìªº¯}Ãa¦æ¬°)¡A¬Gª¾ ªÅ®æÀ³¸m¤J§Î®eµü©Î¤Àµü¥H­×¹¢¸Ó¦Wµüµü²Õ¡C

b. ³Ñ¾l¿ï¶µ¤¤°£ (E) darkness ¤Î (J) stands for ¥~ ¬Ò²Å¦X±ø¥ó¡A®Ú¾Ú»y·N¡A¤Ñ·Ó¤j¯«¹ï¡u¨¸´c¡v§Ì§Ì ªº¯}Ãa¦æ¬°·P¨ì¼««ã¡A¥iª¾µª®×À³¿ï(B) wicked¡C

5. She then locked herself in a cave, plunging the world into darkness.

²z¥Ñ

a. ªÅ®æ«e¦³¤¶µü into¡A¬Gª¾ªÅ®æÀ³¸m¤J¦Wµü¡C

b. ¿ï¶µ¤¤¶È³Ñ (E) darkness ²Å¦X±ø¥ó¡A¸m¤J«áªí «á¨Ó¤Ñ·Ó¤j¯«§â¦Û¤vÃö¦b¬}¥Þ¤§¤¤¡A¨Ï±o¥@¬É³´ ¤J¡u¶Â·t¡v¡A¦]¤Ñ·Ó¤j¯«¬O¤Ó¶§¯«¡A­YµL¤Ñ·Ó¤j¯«¥@¬É´N·|¤@¤ù¶Â·t¡A²Å¦X»y·N¡A¬G¿ï¤§¡C

6. They installed a perch in front of the cave and positioned roosters on it.

²z¥Ñ

a. ªÅ®æ«e¦³¥N¦Wµü They¡A¦ÓªÅ®æ«á¦³¦Wµüµü²Õ a perch(´Ï¤ì)¡A¥B®Ú¾Ú¹ïµ¥³s±µµü and «á­±ªº¹L ¥h¦¡°Êµü positioned(©ñ¸m)¡A¥iª¾ªÅ®æÀ³¸m¤J¹L ¥h¦¡¤Îª«(¤ù»y)°Êµü¡C

b. ¿ï¶µ¤¤©|¦³ (A) stuck ¤Î (D) installed ²Å¦X±ø¥ó¡A ®Ú¾Ú»y·N¡A¨ä¥L¯«©ú¦b¬}¥Þ«e¡u¦w¸Ë¡v¤F¤@­Ó´Ï ¤ì¡A¨Ã±N¤½Âû©ñ¦b¤WÀY¡A¥iª¾µª®×À³¿ï (D)¡C

7. The story sounds reasonable since the Japanese characters for torii literally mean ¡§bird home.¡¨

²z¥Ñ

a. ªÅ®æ«e¦³·P©x°Êµü sounds(Å¥°_¨Ó)¡A¥iª¾ªÅ®æ À³¸m¤J§Î®eµü©Î¤Àµü¥H§@¥Dµü The story(³o­Ó¬G ¨Æ)ªº¸É»y¡C

b. ³Ñ¾l¿ï¶µ¤¤°£ (J) stands for ¥~¬Ò²Å¦X±ø¥ó¡A¥»¥y «á¥b´£¤Î³¾©~ªº¤é¤å¦r­±¤W·N«ä§Y¬O¡u³¾¤§®a¡v¡A ¥iª¾¦]¬°³o¼Ë¡A¨ä¥L¯«©ú¥Î¤½Âû¤Þ»¤¤Ñ·Ó¤j¯«²{¨­ ªº¬G¨Æ«Ü¡u¦X²z¡v¡A¬G¿ï (I) reasonable¡C

8. The torii stands for the border between the living world and the spirit world.

²z¥Ñ

a. ªÅ®æ«e¦³¦Wµüµü²ÕThetorii(³¾©~)¡A¦ÓªÅ®æ«á¥ç ¦³¤@¦Wµüµü²Õ the border(Ãä¬É)¡A¥B®Ú¾Ú¥»¬q®É ºA¡A¥iª¾ªÅ®æÀ³¸m¤J²{¦b¦¡²Ä¤T¤HºÙ³æ¼Æ¤Îª«(¤ù »y)°Êµü¡C

b. ¿ï¶µ¤¤¶È³Ñ (J) stands for ²Å¦X±ø¥ó¡A¸m¤J«áªí³¾ ©~¡u¥Nªí¤F¡v¤H¬É©M¯«°ì¤§¶¡ªºÃä¬É¡A¬G¿ï¤§¡C

9. When one crosses through a torii, they are entering sacred land, the land of the kami.

²z¥Ñ

a. ªÅ®æ«e¦³ be °Êµü are ©M²{¦b¤Àµü entering(¶i ¤J)¡AªÅ®æ«á¦³¦Wµü land(¤g¦a)¡A¬Gª¾ªÅ®æÀ³¸m ¤J§Î®eµü©Î¤Àµü¥H­×¹¢ land¡C

b. ³Ñ¾l¿ï¶µ¬Ò²Å¦X±ø¥ó¡A¥»¥y«á¥b¦³¦P¦ì»y the land of the kami(¯«¬éªº»â°ì)¡A¥iª¾¬ï¶V³¾©~´N¶i¤J ¤F¡u¯«¸tªº¡v¤g¦a¡A¬G¿ï (H) sacred¡C

10. When leaving a temple, it¡¦s important to leave through all of the gates you walked through when entering; otherwise, you¡¦ll be stuck in the spirit world.

²z¥Ñ

a. ªÅ®æ«e¦³­ì§Î be °Êµü¡A¦ÓªÅ®æ«á¦³¤¶µü in¡A¬Gª¾ ªÅ®æÀ³¸m¤J§Î®eµü¡B¤Àµü©Î¦Wµü¡C

b. ¿ï¶µ¤¤¶È³Ñ (A) stuck ²Å¦X±ø¥ó¡A¸m¤J«áªíÂ÷¶}¦x °|®É­n¨«¹L¶i¦x°|®É¬ï¹Lªº¨C¹D³¾©~;§_«h¡A§A·| ³Q¡u§x¦b¡v¯«°ì¤¤¡A²Å¦X»y·N¡A¬G¿ï¤§¡C

¤¤¤å½Ķ(& µª®×)

¤é¥»³¾©~ | ³q©¹¯«°ìªº¤J¤f

¤é¥»ªº³¾©~¬O¸Ó°êªº²³¦h¥Nªí¼Ð»x¤§¤@¡C¤é¥»¦a´º¤W¬P ù´Ñ¥¬µÛ³o¨Ç²³æ«o¯«¯¦ªºªù¡C¦ý¥¦­Ì¨s³º·½¦Û¦ó¤è¡A¥¦­Ì ¤S¥Nªí¤F¤°»ò?

ÁöµM³o¨Ç¥~Æ[ºë¬üªºªù¤§°_·½©|¤£©ú¡A¦ý³\¦h¾ú¥v¾Ç®a »{¬°¥¦­Ì¬O±q¦L«×©Î¤¤°ê¶Ç¤Jªº¡C¦b¦L«×¡AºÙ¬°¦«©Ô¯Çªºªù ¥X²{¦b¦ò±Ð©M¦L«×±Ð¦x°|ªº¤J¤f³B¡C¦«©Ô¯Ç³o­Ó¦W¦rÅ¥°_¨Ó ¤]¸ò³¾©~ªº¤é¤åµo­µ(torii)¦³ÂIÃþ¦ü¡A³o¶i¤@¨B¼W¥[¤F¸Ó ²z½×ªº»¡ªA¤O¡C¦b¤¤°ê¡A³QºÙ¬°µP¼ÓªºÃþ¦ü«Øª«¤]³]©ó¦ò¦x ©M¹DÆ[ªº¶iªù³B¡CµM¦Ó¡A¤é¥»ªº¶Ç»¡«o¦³¤£¦Pªº»¡ªk¡C

®Ú¾Ú¡m¥j¨Æ°O¡n¢w ¼g©ó 712 ¦~¡A¦³Ãö¤é¥»»P·í¦a¯« ¬é(¯«¬é¤é»y©À§@ kami)ªº¤@¥»¯«¸Ü¶° ¢w ³¾©~ªº°_·½»P ¤Ñ·Ó¤j¯«¦³Ãö¡A¨ä¬°¯«¹D±Ðªº¤Ó¶§¤k¯«¡CÍ¢¹ï¦Û¤v¨¸´c§Ì§Ì ªº¯}Ãa¦æ¬°·P¨ì¼««ã¡C«á¨ÓÍ¢§â¦Û¤vÃö¦b¬}¥Þ¤§¤¤¡A¨Ï±o¥@ ¬É³´¤J¶Â·t¡C¨ä¥L¯«©ú·Q¤F­Ó¿ìªk¤Þ»¤Í¢¥X¨Ó:Åý¥q±á¤§³¾ ¤jÁn©I¥s¡CÍ¢­Ì¦b¬}¥Þ«e¦w¸Ë¤F¤@­Ó´Ï¤ì¡A¨Ã±N¤½Âû©ñ¦b¤W ÀY¡C³o­Ó´Ï¤ì«K¬O³Ìªìªº³¾©~¡C¤@Å¥¨ì¤½Âûªº¥sÁn¡A¤Ñ·Ó¤j ¯««K²{¨­¥X¨Ó¬Ý¬Ýµo¥Í¤F¤°»ò¨Æ¡A³oÅý¥@¬É­«ªð¥ú©ú¡C³o­Ó ¬G¨ÆÅ¥°_¨Ó«Ü¦X²z¡A¦]¬°³¾©~ªº¤é¤å¦r­±¤W·N«ä§Y¬O¡u³¾¤§ ®a¡v¡C

³¾©~¥Nªí¤F¤H¬É©M¯«°ì¤§¶¡ªºÃä¬É¡C·í¤@­Ó¤H¬ï¶V¤@ ¹D³¾©~¡A¥L´N¶i¤J¤F¯«¸tªº¤g¦a ¢w ¯«¬éªº»â°ì¡C¤@­Ó¤H ¸g¹Lªº¨C¤@¹D³¾©~·N¨ýµÛ¥L¥¿½ñ¤W¤ñ«e¤@³B§ó¯«¸tªº¤g¦a¡C Â÷¶}¦x°|®É¡A«Ü­«­nªº¤@ÂI¬O­n¨«¹L¶i¦x°|®É¬ï¹Lªº¨C¹D ³¾©~;§_«h¡A§A·|³Q§x¦b¯«°ì¤¤¡C¦]¦¹¡A¤U¦¸§A¦b¤é¥»Æ[½à ¦x°|®É¡A°O±o¹ï¯«©ú«O«ù·q­«¡A¨Ã¥­¥­¦w¦w¦a¦^¨ì§Ú­Ìªº¥@¬É¡C

[ ¥»©«³Ì«á¥Ñ line256 ©ó 2022-10-13 21:48 ½s¿è ]

µo·s¸ÜÃD