µo·s¸ÜÃD
¥´¦L

[¥Í¬¡­^»y] ¬ã¨s»¡:¶}¿OºÎı¶Ë¨­Åé Shedding Some Light on an Important Aspect of Sleep

¬ã¨s»¡:¶}¿OºÎı¶Ë¨­Åé Shedding Some Light on an Important Aspect of Sleep

Shedding Some Light on an Important Aspect of Sleep
1/3 ¸ÑªR­^»y
§@ªÌ Brian Foden
¾\Ū®É¶¡ 8¤ÀÄÁ
Å¥Á¿¸Ñ Å¥®ÔŪ
¥»¹Ï¤å¥X³B:
MP3:https://www.dropbox.com/s/g5i9hp7ueykb8mo/%E7%A0%94%E7%A9%B6%E8%AA%AA%E9%96%8B%E7%87%88%E7%9D%A1%E8%A6%BA%E5%82%B7%E8%BA%AB%E9%AB%94.rar?dl=0
ª×«Çªº±j¥ú·|¹ï¤ß¦åºÞ©M·s³¯¥NÁªº°·±d²£¥Í¦³®`ªº¼vÅT

¥Ø¿ý / More to Learn / ¤¤¤å½Ķ(& µª®×)
¬ì´¶¶é¦a

Alot of focus has been directed at the importance of getting around eight hours of sufficient sleep per night for the average person, though young children need more and the elderly generally require less. Another aspect¡Xone that receives less attention from the public¡Xis the quality of one¡¦s sleep and the impact that it has on physical health. A recent study by researchers at the Center for Circadian and Sleep Medicine at Northwestern University in the United States has cast some light on this issue.

The sleep experts at Northwestern University conducted experiments involving two groups of young adults, hooking them up to heart monitors to see how varying levels of light in a room at night affected their physiological states. The results suggested that the intensity of light present in one¡¦s bedroom has detrimental implications for cardiovascular and metabolic health.

In the study, one group of subjects slept in a room that was lit only by dull light for two nights. The other 10 individuals slept one night under the same type of light and the second night in a room with a brighter light placed overhead. In addition to monitoring their hearts, researchers recorded the sleepers¡¦ brainwaves and drew their blood. The group that had slept under a brighter light on the second night showed elevated heart rates during that time. Their bodies also showed increased insulin resistance, meaning they had trouble regulating their blood sugar levels.

The study suggests that the presence of light in a room while one is sleeping may have an adverse influence on health. Therefore, to ensure a good night¡¦s sleep, you can start by creating a bedroom that guards against unwanted light at night.

1. What do the results of the research from Northwestern University indicate?

(A) Leaving a soft light on in a room can promote sleep.

(B) Sleeping in a completely dark room can affect one¡¦s mental health.

(C) Illumination in a room at night can disturb blood sugar regulation.

(D) Exposure to artificial light at night can cause people to have nightmares.

2. Which of the following is closest in meaning to ¡§detrimental¡¨ in the second paragraph?

(A) False. (B) Harmful.(C) Contagious. (D) Psychological.

3. According to the passage, who is most likely a participant in the experiment mentioned in the passage?  

David

The researchers asked me to write down what I felt after I slept with a light on.

Pauline

The doctors got me to sleep with a bedside table lamp on and kept track of my brainwaves.

Kevin

The scientists measured my weight before I slept in their lab. While I was sleeping, they monitored my heart rate.

Fannie

The experts had me sleep under a dim light on the first night. On the second night, however, I stayed in a much brighter room.

(A) David. (B) Pauline. (C) Kevin. (D) Fannie.

µª®×: 1.C 2.B 3.D

³æ¦r¤ù»y¾ã²z
Words in Use
¡´
aspect [£¿æspÈ÷kt]

n. ¤è­±
¡´
implication [͵ÈþmplÈþ£¿keÈõən]

n. ·t¥Ü
¡´
impact [Èþm£¿pækt]

n. ¼vÅT¡A½ÄÀ»¡]±`»P¤¶µü on ¨Ã¥Î¡^
vt. ¹ï¡K¡K²£¥Í¼vÅT
¡´
intensity [Èþn£¿tÈ÷nsətÈþ]

n. ±j«×¡F¼ö¤Á
¡´
resistance [rÈþ£¿zÈþstəns]

n. §Ü©Ú¡F¡]¨­Å骺¡^©è§Ü¤O
¡´
regulate [£¿rÈ÷gjə͵let]

.vt. ³W½d¡F½Õ¸`¡A½Õ¾ã
¡´
hook [hÈýk]

n. ¹_¤l
vt. ¹_¦í¡F¥Î¹_¡]³¨³½¡^¡F¡]¤âÁuµ¥¡^¶¦í
¡´
monitor [£¿mɑnətɚ]

.vt. & vi. ºÊµø
n. ºÊµø¾¹¡F¿Ã¹õ
¡´
overhead [£¿ovɚ£¿hÈ÷d]

adv. ¦b°ªªÅ¤¤
a. ÀY³»¤Wªº
¡´
adverse [æd£¿vɝs]

a. ¤£§Qªº¡A­t­±ªº
¡´
sufficient [sə£¿fÈþÈõənt]

a. ¨¬°÷ªº¡A¥R¤Àªº
¡´
conduct [£¿kɑndʌkt]

n. ¦æ¬°¡]¤£¥i¼Æ¡^
¡´
detrimental [dÈ÷trə£¿mÈ÷nt!]
a. ¦³®`ªº
¡´
insulin [£¿ÈþnsəlÈþn]
n. ¯Ø®q¯À
¡´
elevated [£¿È÷lə͵vetÈþd]

´£°ªªº¡A©ï°ªªº
¡´
brainwave [£¿brenwev]
n. ¸£ªi
¡´
illumination [Èþ͵ljumə£¿neÈõən]

n. ·Ó©ú¡A¥ú«G
¡´
metabolic [͵mÈ÷tə£¿bɑlÈþk]
a. ·s³¯¥NÁªº
¡´
cardiovascular cardiovascular
a. ¤ß¦åºÞªº
¡´
physiological [͵fÈþzÈþə£¿lɑdʒÈþk!]
a. ¥Í²z¡]¾Ç¡^ªº
¡´
circadian [sɚ£¿kedÈþən]
a. ±Þ©]¸`«ßªº¡A¥Í²z®ÉÄÁªº¡]¶È¸m©ó¦Wµü«e¡^
Practical Phrases
¡´
guard against... ¨¾¤î¡K¡K
Guard against pickpockets when you are shopping
in the mall.
¦b°Ó³õÁʪ«®É¡A­nÂÔ¨¾¥¶¤â¡C

¡´
keep track of... ÀH®É´x´¤¡K¡K¡A«ùÄò°lÂÜ¡K¡K
It¡¦s hard to keep track of all my old friends; in fact, I¡¦ve lost contact with most of them.
©M©Ò¦³ªº¦Ñ¤Í«O«ùÁpô«Ü§xÃø¡A¨Æ¹ê¤W¡A§Ú¤w¸g©M¥L­Ì¤j³¡¤Àªº¤H¥¢Áp¤F¡C

¡´
be directed at ¡]ª`·N¤O¡B±¡ºüµ¥¡^«ü¦V⋯⋯
Criticism has been directed at the president, who didn¡¦t respond to the crisis immediately.

§åµû«ü¦VÁ`²Î¡A¥L¨S¥ß§Y¹ï¨º³õ¦M¾÷°µ¥XÀ³¹ï¡C

¡´
hook sb up to ¦b¬Y¤H¨­¤W±µ¤W⋯⋯¡]»ö¾¹µ¥¡^
Doctors hooked the severely injured patient up to a life-support machine.

Âå¥Í±N¥Í©Rºû«ù³]³Æ±µ¦b¨º¦W­«¶Ë±wªÌ¨­¤W¡C

The unconscious woman was hooked up to a respirator.

¨º¦W©ü°gªº¤k¤l³Q±µ¤W©I§l¾¹¡C

More to Learn

shed / cast / throw light on...

¨Ï¤H­Ì¹ï⋯⋯¦³©Ò¤F¸Ñ¡AÄÄ©ú/¸ÑÄÀ⋯⋯
• Researchers developed a theory to shed light on the psychological phenomenon.

¬ã¨s¤H­ûµo®i¥X¤@®M²z½×¥H¸ÑÄÀ¨º­Ó¤ß²z²{¶H¡C

¥H¤U¤¶²Ð¨ä¥L»P light ·f°tªº¤ù»y:

a. bring... to light ¨Ï⋯⋯¤½¶}

• A former employee brought the firm¡¦s scandal to light by reporting it to the police.

¤@¦WÂ÷¾­û¤u³øĵ¨Ï¸Ó¤½¥qªºÁà»DÃn¥ú¡C

b. come to light ³Q´¦ÅS¥X¨Ó¡A¯u¬Û¤j¥Õ

• People were furious when it came to light that kids were mistreated at the school.

¨º¨Ç«Äµ£¦b¾Ç®Õ³Q­h«Ý¤@¨Æ³Q´¦ÅS¥X¨Ó«á¡A¥Á²³«Ü¥Í®ð¡C

c. in (the) light of... ¦³Å²©ó/¦Ò¼{¨ì⋯⋯

• The government has urged people to use forms of transportation other than trains in light of the strike.

¦³Å²©ó¨º³õ½}¤u¡A¬F©²©IÆ~¤j²³¨Ï¥Î¤õ¨®¥H¥~ªº¥æ³q¤u¨ã¡C

d. in a new / different / bad /... light ¥H¹ñ·s/¤£¦P/¤£¦n/⋯⋯ªº¤è¦¡/²´¥ú/¨¤«×

• If you see things in a different light, you may draw a different conclusion.

­Y±q¤£¦P¨¤«×¬Ý«Ý¨Æª«¡A§A¥i¯à·|±o¨ì¤£¦Pªºµ²½×¡C

¤¤¤å½Ķ(& µª®×)

³\¦hÃöª`³£¾É¦V¤@¯ë¤H¨C±ß­nÀò¨ú¬ù¤K¤p®É ¥R¨¬ºÎ¯vªº­«­n©Ê¡A¾¨ºÞ¥®µ£»Ý­nªººÎ¯v§ó¦h¡A ªø½ú«h³q±`»Ý­n¸û¤ÖºÎ¯v¡C¥t¤@­Ó­±¦V ¢w¢w ¤j ²³¤£¤Óª`­«ªº¤è­± ¢w¢w ¬OºÎ¯v«~½è¤Î¨ä¹ï¨­Åé °·±dªº¼vÅT¡C¬ü°ê¦è¥_¤j¾Ç±Þ©]¸`«ßº[ºÎ¯vÂå¾Ç ¤¤¤ßªº¬ã¨s¤H­û³Ìªñªº¤@¶µ¬ã¨sÅý¤H­Ì¹ï³o­Óij ÃD¦³©Ò¤F¸Ñ¡C

¦è¥_¤j¾ÇªººÎ¯v±M®a¶i¦æ¤F¦³¨â²Õ¦~»´¤H°Ñ »Pªº¹êÅç¡A±M®a±N¤ßŦºÊ´ú»ö±µ¨ì¥L­Ì¨­¤W¡A¥H ¤F¸Ñ©]¶¡©Ð¤º¤£¦P«G«×ªº¥ú½u¦p¦ó¼vÅT¥L­Ìªº¥Í ²zª¬ºA¡Cµ²ªGÅã¥Üª×«Çªº±j¥ú·|¹ï¤ß¦åºÞ©M·s³¯ ¥NÁªº°·±d²£¥Í¦³®`ªº¼vÅT¡C

¦b³o¶µ¬ã¨s¤¤¡A¤@²Õ¨ü¸ÕªÌ¦b¤@¶¡¥u¦³©ü·t ¥ú½uªº©Ð¸ÌºÎ¤F¨â±ß¡C¨ä¾l¤Q¤H¦b¦P¼Ëªº¿O¥ú¤U ºÎ¤F¤@±ß¡A²Ä¤G±ß«h¦b¤@¶¡ÀY³»¤W¤èÂ\³]µÛ¸û«G ¿O¨ãªº©Ð¸ÌºÎı¡C°£¤FºÊ´ú¥L­Ìªº¤ßŦ¥~¡A¬ã¨s ¤H­ûÁÙ°O¿ý¤FºÎ¯vªÌªº¸£ªi©M©â¦å¡C²Ä¤G±ß¦b¸û «G¿O¥ú¤UºÎıªº¨º²Õ¤H¦b¨º¬q´Á¶¡¤ß²v°¾°ª¡C¥L ­Ìªº¨­Åé¤]Åã²{¤F¯Ø®q¯Àªý§Ü¼W¥[ªº²{¶H¡A³o·N ¨ýµÛ¥L­ÌÃø¥H½Õ¸`¦å¿}¡C

¸Ó¶µ¬ã¨sÅã¥ÜºÎı®É¡A©Ð¸Ì¦³¥ú½u¥i¯à·| ¹ï°·±d²£¥Í­t­±¼vÅT¡C¦]¦¹¡A¬°¤F½T«O¤@©]¦n ¯v¡A§A¥i¥H±q¥´³y¤@¶¡¨¾°ô©]¶¡«D¥²­n¥ú½uªº ª×«Ç¶}©l¡C

1. ¦è¥_¤j¾Çªº¬ã¨sµ²ªG»¡©ú¤F¤°»ò?

(A) ¦b©Ð¸Ì¯d¤@·ø¬X©M¥ú½u¥i¥H«P¶iºÎ¯v¡C

(B) ¦b¥þ¶Âªº©Ð¸ÌºÎı·|¼vÅT¤@­Ó¤Hªº¤ß²z°·±d¡C

(C) ©]¶¡©Ð¤ºªº·Ó·|ÂZ¶Ã¦å¿}ªº½Õ¸`¡C

(D) ©]±ß¼ÉÅS©ó¤H³y¥ú·|¾É­P¤H­Ì°µ´c¹Ú¡C

2. ¥H¤U­þ¤@¶µ»P²Ä¤G¬q ¡§detrimental¡¨ ªº§t¸q³Ì±µªñ?

(A) ¿ù»~ªº¡C

(B) ¦³®`ªº¡C

(C) ¶Ç¬V©Êªº¡C

(D) ¤ß²z¤Wªº¡C

3. ®Ú¾Ú¥»¤å¡A½Ö³Ì¦³¥i¯à¬O¤å¤¤´£¤Î¹êÅ窺°Ñ»PªÌ?

¤j½Ã

¬ã¨s¤H­û­n§Ú¼g¤U¶}µÛ¿OºÎı¦³¤°»ò·P¨ü¡C
Ä_µY

Âå®vÅý§ÚºÎ¦b¤@·ø¶}µÛªº§ÉÃä®à¿O®Ç¡A¨Ã°O¿ý§Úªº¸£ ªi¡C

³Í¤å

¬ì¾Ç®a¥ý´ú¶q§ÚªºÅé­«¡A±µµÛ§ÚºÎ¦b¥L­Ìªº¹êÅç«Ç¸Ì¡C §Ú¦bºÎı®É¡A¥L­ÌºÊ´ú§Úªº¤ß²v¡C

ªâ©g

±M®a­n§ÚÀY¤@±ßºÎ¦b©ü·tªº¿O¥ú¤U¡C¦Ó²Ä¤G±ß§Ú«Ý¦b¤@ ­Ó§ó¬°©ú«Gªº©Ð¸Ì¡C

(A) ¤j½Ã¡C

(B) Ä_µY¡C

(C) ³Í¤å¡C

(D) ªâ©g¡C

ÃD¸Ñ: ¥»¤å²Ä¤T¬q´£¤Î¤@²Õ¨ü¸ÕªÌ¨â±ß³£ºÎ¦b¥ú½u©ü·tªº©Ð¸Ì¡A¥t¤@²Õ¨ü¸ÕªÌ«h¦b¦P¼Ëªº¿O¥ú¤UºÎ¤F¤@±ß¡A²Ä¤G±ß«h¦b¤@ ¶¡ÀY³»¤W¤èÂ\³]µÛ¸û«G¿O¨ãªº©Ð¸ÌºÎı¡A«áªÌ²Å¦Xªâ©gªº ±Ô­z¡A¬G¿ï (D)¡C

µo·s¸ÜÃD